2.5 to 3 lbs
ground beef or lamb
cayenne (for medium spice)
diced or crushed tomatoes (about 2 cups)
zucchini and/or yellow squash shredded (see note)
- Brown meat and remove from pan. Use a strainer to remove some fat if you wish.
- Brown the onions to your liking in a bit of the left behind meat fat.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2nd set and saute for about 1 minute
- Add yogurt and tomatoes, scraping the bottom to free up browned bits, and simmer for 5 minutes
- Return meat to pan, stir in garam masala & salt, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add shredded squash and cook for another 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir final set and serve on rice
- Note: Traditional keema matar would forgo the squash and spinach in favor of 2 cups of frozen peas. These can be added at the end and simply brought up to temperature. I like it either way. Basically just add some sort of veggie and you'll be happy.
- Yield: 8 to 10 as a main dish with rice
- Source: Modified from Madhur Jaffrey
Category: Indian Modified 12/21/18