Sweet Saffron Rice
2 ⅔ cups
ghee or butter
blanched slivered almonds (skinless will look best)
- Soak saffron in warm milk for 1 to 3 hours
- Rinse rice, soak for 30 minutes, drain for 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 300
- Lightly fry cardamom and cinnamon in ghee in a oven proof skillet. Add rice and fry for about 3 minutes. Add water and salt and cook uncovered – stirring frequently – until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Covering the rice while in the oven will keep it moist if you wish. I prefer the slightly dry and chewy texture it gets when uncovered.
- note: This will fill a 10” skillet. Can make 1.5 recipes in a 12” skillet.
- Yield: 8 as a side dish
- Source: Modified from Madhur Jaffrey