Filipino Chicken Adobo
- Soak chicken in soy sauce for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator. (see notes)
- Remove chicken from soy sauce leaving as much soy in the bowl as possible and quickly sear the chicken on both sides in a dutch oven or 12-inch non-stick skillet. (see notes)
- Add everything else to the pot, including the leftover soy in the chicken bowl and simmer for 20 to 40 minutes uncovered until the chicken registers 175 degrees. Stir and flip the chicken often. Remove chicken pieces as they are done.
- Remove chicken. Discard bay leaves.
- Boil sauce on medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes to slightly thicken and concentrate flavors.
- Shred chicken coarsely with two forks, return to pot, and serve with white rice.
- Yield: 4 to 6
- Source: Modified from Cook’s Illustrated
- Notes: This is an excellent and very easy dish. It uses a surprising amount of soy and vinegar but once mixed with the coconut milk and chicken flavors it's excellent. You can skip the soaking step and the searing step to speed things up. I do this all the time. Just toss all ingredients in a pot an and simmer. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's much different this way. I often add some sort of vegetable to the pot as well. Like green beans, broccoli slaw, or zucchini. You can cook them separate and add with shredded chicken at the end. Or add to pot as you boil down the sauce. I always serve this over white rice in a bowl with a spoon so that you can enjoy all the sauce.
Category: American Modified 2/22/21