- Peel, core, and slice the apples. I use a hand crank style apple & potato peeler that does all three of these actions at once. See notes below if you don’t have one of these.
- Simmer 1st set for 10 to 20 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally.
- When done, sprinkle in the cinnamon and mash with a potato masher. I like to leave it somewhat chunky.
- Note on sugar: I find most apples don’t need any sugar. If you leave it out you can always add some at the end.
- Note on apple prep: If you have a food mill you can use it to process the cooked apple mixture (it won’t be chunky style though). The mill will remove the skins for you so you’ll only need to remove the cores in the first step. Add the cinnamon after milling. If you don’t have a hand crank peeler or a food mill then you’ll need to take the skins off by hand and then core the apples by hand or with a push down apple corer/slicer.
- Source: Modified from Cook’s Illustrated
Category: Dessert Modified 1/4/13