Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cheese
- Cut off stem end of the sprouts and remove yellowing outer leaves. Cut each sprout in half from top to bottom.
- Cook first set on medium high heat until they are fork tender (about 5 minutes) and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside to cool and crumble.
- Fry shallots in same pan using 1 to 2 T of bacon fat (discard the rest). Leave the crusty bacon fond in the pan but scrape it up into the onions to prevent burning.
- Add salt and apples and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add pre-cooked Brussels sprouts to heat through. Toss with cheese, nutmeg, and crumbled bacon. Fry pan will be easer to clean if you add the cheese in the serving bowl.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Source: Modified from Alton Brown
Category: American Modified 1/4/13