bell pepper (any color)
tomatoes (fine dice fresh or canned)
small to medium zucchini, yellow, or Mexican squash, bite size
Mexican oregano (normal oregano is fine)
chipotle powder (or dice up a canned chipotle)
lime - juice only
- Roast and peal the two peppers (google it) and set aside
- Sauté the onions in butter until medium brown
- Add garlic and tomatoes and continue cooking to reduce liquid and concentrate the tomatoes
- Add squash and spices and cook until squash is tender but still has a firm texture.
- Add last set along with roasted peppers and adjust spices to your liking. All or part of the cotija can be saved for garnish but it’s just as good just mixed in.
- Note: If you want a less spicy version, swap in smoked paprika for some or all of the chipotle powder.
- Note: If you want meat in this, crumble and fry ½ lb of Mexican pork chorizo and add it to the calabacitas with the last set.
- Yield: 8 as a main, 12 as a side
- Source: me
Category: Southwest/Mexican Modified 11/3/201