Curried Buttermilk Coleslaw
red or green cabbage (about 1 medium head or 12 cups shredded)
fresh parsley, minced
curry powder (mild is best. I make my own without any spice)
salt (see note)
- Shred and chop the cabbage. Toss it with the salt and let it rest in a colander or strainer for 1 to 4 hours at room temperature.
- Shred carrots and set aside with raisins.
- Mix 3rd set to form a dressing and set aside or refrigerate if needed.
- Rinse cabbage under cold water to remove salt. Pat dry with paper towels to get it as dry as possible without pressing the cabbage too hard. A salad spinner works good for this if you have one.
- Toss everything to combine and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Note: Coleslaw can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and it's actually better the 2nd day. You might leave the salt out of the dressing and add it later if needed. Depending on how much salt is absorbed and left behind in step one the slaw can get a bit salty.
- Yield: 10 to 12 as a side.
- Source: Modified from Cook’s Illustrated
Category: American Modified 7/30/15