½ thick slices hearty bread (about 6 oz total)
heads garlic (about 11 oz total)
parmesan cheese rinds, about 5x2 inches each
finely grated parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper
hot red pepper flakes
- For the croutons: Bake slices at 400 for 10 minutes until very hard and crispy. When still warm, lightly rub one side of each piece with the whole garlic. Go light on the garlic or the sharp croutons will overwhelm the dish.
- Smash the unpeeled garlic in a large ziplock with a fry pan or mallet until cloves are reduced to shards and bits. Simmer with 1st set until the garlic is easily mashed by a fork. About 35 minutes. Stir frequently.
- In another pot, simmer 2nd set for 30 minutes. If using flavorful homemade stock, it may not be necessary to add the herbs.
- Combine both pots and boil for 10 minutes on medium heat to infuse garlic flavor into soup.
- Strain the soup, pushing on the solids to extract liquid.
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Beat the eggs and cheese together and whisk into stock. The stock should be cool enough not to cook the eggs. However, you may want to temper them a bit.
- Break croutons into your bowl as you eat and they will stay crispy.
- Yield: 4 to 5
- Source: Cook’s Illustrated
Category: Spanish Modified 1/4/13