- Heat butter over medium heat (stir occasionally) and watch for three stages: foam, clear, foam
- Butter is done when the milk solids are medium dark brown during the 2nd foaming period.
- When to stop: Stir with a large metal spoon and the milk solids will stick to the spoon when removed. They will start out white but will turn dark rather quickly once the 2nd foaming stage is hit. My ghee hits about 300 degrees when done, but that may depend on how quickly you heat the butter.
- Cool slightly and strain through cheesecloth
- Note: I start with 1.5 lbs butter in my 4qt All-Clad pot.
- Ghee will keep forever in the fridge and probably for months a room temperature.
- Yield: 1.5 Cups
Category: Indian Modified 10/14/15