- Bring sugar, water, and cardamom pods, to boil and simmer for a few minutes to dissolve sugar. Cool slightly and add rose water and food dye.
- Mix ingredients, adding just enough cream to make a dough. Make 1" diameter balls.
- Heat oil (at least 3” deep) to roughly 270 degrees and test cook one ball (I use a 4 qt pot and a full bottle of oil). Ball should take 4 to 5 minutes to brown. They will sink and then float. Free them from the bottom if they stick or they will burn.
- Transfer balls from oil to a rack for a few minuets and then into the syrup. Soak at room temperature a few hours or overnight. You may have to mix them around a few times to get an even soak.
- Serve cold or room temp.
- Note: I like to serve this on top of kheer and I tend to make my kheer on the no-so-sweet side and add syrup from the Gulab Jamun to taste.
- Yield: 15 to 20 balls (a triple batch will fill a Costco sized pickle jar)
- Source: Gail Fine, modified slightly.
Category: Indian Modified 10/14/15