Mashed Potatoes and Root Vegetables
- Peel carrots, parsnips, and potatoes.
- Slice carrots and lower half of parsnips into 1/4-inch circles
- Slice upper portion of parsnips in half lengthwise, remove fibrous core by cutting a V-shaped channel, then slice into 1/4-inch half moons.
- Quarter potatoes lengthwise and cross-cut into 1/4-inch slices. Rinse the cut potatoes in several changes of cold water and drain well. Keep potatoes separate from root veggies.
- Melt butter over medium heat until foaming subsides.
- Add 1st set and cook 10 to 12 minutes until butter is browned and vegetables are dark brown and caramelized.
- Add 2nd set and cook covered on low heat 25 to 30 minutes until water is absorbed and potatoes fall apart easy. Use a gentle simmer, not a full boil.
- Remove from heat and let rest 2 minutes uncovered
- Gently mash with a potato masher and fold in warmed half-and-half & chives.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: When doubling recipe increase simmer time to 30 to 40 minutes. 3x will fit is a 6qt pot and will simmer even longer.
- Yield: 4
- Calories: 1300/recipe and 325/serving
- Source: America’s Test Kitchen
Category: American Modified 2/17/14