Passover Gateau au Chocolat
- Pulse almonds and matzo meal in food processor until finely ground
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, gradually adding 1/3 cup sugar near the end.
- In another bowl, mix yolks, zest, brown sugar, salt, and remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes until pale and thick. On low speed mix in chocolate mixture.
- Fold almond mixture and 1/4 eggs whites into yolk mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer batter to ungreased 9" spring form pan and bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes. Toothpick inserted 1.5" from edge should come out almost clean.
- Cool on wire rack. Transfer to serving plate and dust with powdered sugar.
- Yield: 12 slices
- Source: Modified from Good Housekeeping