- Read ahead before starting. You can slice the potatoes, grease the baking dish, and preheat the oven while the bacon and onions cook.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Cool on paper towels and discard all but 1 T of the fat.
- Saute onion and ¼ t salt in the bacon fat on medium until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan gets too dark and scrape up the dark part.
- Transfer to a bowl along with bacon and 2nd set.
- Add broths to pan and bring to a simmer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick on a mandoline if you have one and toss well with onion mixture (use your hands)
- Transfer onion and potato mixture to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and press down firmly to compress into an even layer
- Poor hot broth over top and dot surface with butter.
- Bake uncovered at 425 until golden brown and tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed. About 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let rest on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving.
- Yield: Serves 8 as a side
- Source: Modified from Cook's Illustrated
Category: American Modified 11/7/21